Gifts and Donations PolicyPolicy: 7.3
Volume: 7, Library
Chapter: 3 , Library Gifts and Donations Policy
Responsible Executive: Library Director
Executive Council Approval Date: March 15, 2011
Originally Issued: March 15, 2011
Reason for policy:
The Library's primary goal is to support the mission of the University to provide quality educational programs in the fields of health care and education in concert with the Judaic commitment to social justice, intellectual pursuit, and service to humanity. The Library's main user population is Touro University California (TUC) students, faculty (including adjuncts) and staff and the collection should reflect this user population.
Who should read this policy:
- Donations of money to purchase books, journals, media or other Library resources are gratefully accepted and coordinated through the Office of Institutional Advancement. Donations can be designated for a specific purpose or purchase that falls within the scope of the Library's mission and collection.
Donation of materials
- We do not accept donations except for items of special interest to The Library.
- These items may be accepted at the discretion of the librarians.
- All donations are accepted with the understanding that upon receipt, TUC becomes the owner of the material and reserves the right to determine its disposition.
- Materials will be retained that are of value to the collection. Materials not added to the collection may be sold, exchanged, given away or recycled as appropriate.
- The Library will determine how to house, catalog and display donated materials.
- Material donations with restricted conditions may or may not be accepted.
- The Library will provide an acknowledgement for materials donated. In compliance with IRS policy, the appraisal of a donation to the library is the responsibility of the donor.
- Collections that must be kept intact may or may not be accepted depending upon space and other considerations.
- Donors are encouraged to include transportation costs as part of their donation receipt total. Details regarding shipping, loading and unloading of materials should be arranged with the Library Director.
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.