Library Food and Drink Policy
Volume : 7, Library
Chapter : 8, Library Food and Drink Policy
Responsible Executive: Library Director
Executive Council Approval Date: June 4, 2013
Originally Issued: June 26, 2013 Revision Approved by Executive Council:Feb.3, 2015
Reason for policy:
The Library's Food and Drink Policy is intended to maintain a pleasant and comfortable environment for our campus community and to preserve materials, computer equipment, and furnishings in the Library. This policy is in recognition that members of the Touro University California community spend lengthy amounts of time in the Library and also have limited food and space options on campus, and this policy intends to balance the needs of our unique community.
Who should read this policy:
The Library's Food and Drink Policy is intended to maintain a pleasant and comfortable environment for our campus community and to preserve materials, computer equipment, and furnishings in the Library. This policy is in recognition that members of the Touro University California community spend lengthy amounts of time in the Library and also have limited food and space options on campus, and this policy intends to balance the needs of our unique community. In order to preserve an environment that is conducive to learning, Library users are asked to be considerate of others and to avoid consuming distracting food items that create messes, smells, and/or noise. Library users are expected to dispose of all trash and take responsibility for cleaning spills, food crumbs, etc. Food may not be ordered for delivery to the Library. Responsible stewardship of the Library environment for our users, the Library collection and other resources requires that we exercise care in allowing food in the Library and requires patrons to comply with the Library’s food and drink policy outlined below:
- Beverages in spill-proof mugs or in closed containers with lids including covered cups, soda cans or bottles are welcome in the Library South and North reading areas and in all the Library study rooms.
- Consumption of food in the Library is allowed with these exceptions
- Be aware and considerate of your fellow Library users by not eating in the Library distracting foods that are messy and/or have strong odors or are considered highly allergenic. Such foods should not be consumed when using Library materials. Food may be eaten in the Library Vending Room (Room 206) or in the Library patio area. Food may also be consumed in the Foyer Area of the Library Annex.
- No food should be consumed in the Silent Reading Area on the Library north side.
- Food deliveries to the Library for Library users are not allowed. An exception is made for Library-approved, scheduled, catered events taking place in the Library.
- Food should not be consumed when using Library materials.
- Neither food nor drink is allowed in the Library Computer Lab (Room 207) the Copy Room (Room 205), in the book stacks, or when using items from the Library Historical or Archive Collections.
- Trash from food and/or drink should be disposed of appropriately; leftovers taken out of the Library, and tables and chairs left clean for other Library users.
- Accidents can happen. If you spill food or drink please inform a Library staff member. Also report any overflowing trash receptacles to Library staff. The Library will be able to arrange for cleaning more easily if notified quickly.
- The Library has the right to ask a Library user to remove any food or drink from the Library that is disruptive to Library users or is contrary to this Food and Drink Policy.
Through your thoughtful observance of this policy, the Library is able to achieve the balance needed to maintain a conducive learning environment and also preserve and protect our Library resources.
Any questions or comments about this policy may be directed to the Director of the Library (707-638-5314).
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.