Library Card Policy
Volume : 7, Library
Chapter : 7, Library Card Policy
Responsible Executive: Library Director
Executive Council Approval Date: April 16, 2013
Originally Issued: April 17, 2013
Reason for policy:
This policy establishes the rules for the issuing of Touro University California library cards/barcodes for students, faculty, staff and adjunct faculty.
The TUC Library card is for the use of person to whom it is issued. Lending of this card, or the barcode printed on the library card to anyone is considered misuse and may be subject to disciplinary action.
Who should read this policy:
- Adjunct Faculty
- Library cards are issued to all Touro University California (TUC) students currently enrolled in classes
- A student is eligible to receive a TUC Library card when they are included on the Registrar’s list of matriculated students and have begun courses in their program.
- Prior to the first day of class, new incoming TUC students are welcome to use Libary resources on site.
- For students in the Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine and Pharmacy and the Public Health and Physician’s Assistant programs, library cards are available for pick-up at the library circulation desk. A valid photo id (student id, driver’s license, etc) is required to pick up the card.
- For students in the Graduate School of Education, a library card will be mailed to the student’s permanent address on file with the Registrar.
- The Library card issued to a TUC student remains active until the student graduates. Student library cards expire on June 30th following graduation from TUC.
- The decision to retain or cancel a student’s TUC library card during an official leave of absence is determined by the University Registrar.
- Library cards of students who withdraw or who are dismissed will be expired immediately upon notification from the office of the Registrar.
- All Faculty and Staff listed in the TUC Faculty/Staff Directory or confirmed by Human Resources are eligible for library cards.
- Library cards will be given to the employee only or, at the employee’s request, will be mailed to the employee’s TUC office; administrative assistants or executive assistants may not pick up library cards for faculty or staff members.
- Faculty and staff library cards will be expired immediately upon separation from the university.
- TUC Faculty and Staff Emeritus may retain TUC Library privileges if they would like to do so.
- All adjunct faculty members who are either in the TUC staff/faculty directory; are confirmed by Human Resources, or have completed the appropriate rank and promotion process for their college or program are eligible for a library card. Rosters of eligible adjunct faculty are maintained by the relevant college/program and are consulted before library cards are issued.
- Adjunct faculty who would like a library card must contact either the Library Director or the User Services Librarian by email to request a library card.
- All interested and eligible adjunct faculty will be given an “Adjunct Faculty Library Privileges Request Form”. Upon receipt of the completed form, adjunct faculty will be issued a barcode (or, if desired, a physical library card) that will expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually.
- If an adjunct faculty member’s association with the university ends mid-term, their library card/barcode will be expired immediately upon separation from the university.
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.